Structure of the community
Most groups rent space for their meetings in buildings run by public, religious, or civic organizations. Individual members lead the NA meetings while other members participate by sharing about their experiences in recovering from drug addiction. Group members also work together to perform the activities associated with running a meeting.
The groups vote representatives to form a local service committee. These local committees usually offer a number of services. Included among them are:
- distribution of NA literature
- helpline information services
- presentations for treatment and healthcare staff, civic organizations, government agencies, and schools
- presentations to acquaint treatment or correctional facility clients with the NA program
- maintaining NA meeting directories for individual information and for any interested person.